All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Hill climbing?

Go down 
+8
Crazy_Carl
Creepycrawler
CraftsmanQuad19
mr.modified
prancstaman
Double W Cross Ranch
MightyRaze
Tour1
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mister_Studabaker

Hill climbing? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing?   Hill climbing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 8th 2019, 6:08 pm

@Tour1 Na, in those pictures its more like 18 to 19hp. Personal experience supports a faster gear to go up a hill and a slower one going down. Going up hills slowly makes it easier for the motor torque to break the friction between the tires and dirt.
Keizer has a locked axle to help toting the trailer up and down hills. It would be totally useless without the locker and aggressive tires. Tractors suck traction wise in reverse well all my cubs do.

Regards,
Mister Studabaker
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing?   Hill climbing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2019, 12:49 pm

I've seen many different techniques for getting a modified more up a hill, and usually they work, but on the steep hill you're on the edge of tipping. No way I'd haul a load or trailer up the steep hills.
Back to top Go down
Cheesedawg82

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing?   Hill climbing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2019, 3:13 pm

If I were looking at getting 500 lbs up and down a steep grade using lawn tractor components over and over again, with more of a "get work done" goal than a "hold my beer and watch this" goal in mind, I might consider keeping it stationary and building a wheel winch to pull the wagon up the hill, something like the inclines in Pittsburgh.
Back to top Go down
Cheesedawg82

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing?   Hill climbing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2019, 3:33 pm

If you do go with a tractor to pull a wagon, know that setting the wagon axle farther back will put more weight on the tractor tongue and rear wheels, which will help with traction.
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing?   Hill climbing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2019, 11:42 pm

I wouldn’t pull a trailer up or down the grades your talking about, cheese dog has it right, gaspowered winch out of mower parts makes way more sense
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing?   Hill climbing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2019, 11:57 pm

I always wanted to make a big winch and use a steel car rim as a spool. Like the big winches used for pulling mine cars up and down coal mine slopes. Something like that would be pretty cool and you could more or less rig one up out of tractor parts fairly easy.
Back to top Go down
Tour1

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing?   Hill climbing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2019, 3:18 am

MightyRaze wrote:
Most manufacturers don't recommend traveling up and down more than 15° but, we all get away with more than that.  I will say 40° is pushing the limits...
I forgot this post, just saw it again while checking my previous figures. 15% is 27% grade, my 35.1% proposed grade would be 1/3 more than 27%.
So far we've been using a typical garden wagon, similar to a classic Radio Flyer but with front wheels that turn like car wheels instead of on a single axle. My wife wants a riding mower, it would have to be one of the smallest to be useful in my downstate yard. Upstate I need a strong tractor. Mowing could take place on the right of way road. So far I've done well with a big old string trimmer for that.
Back to top Go down
Tour1

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing?   Hill climbing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2019, 1:47 am

I meant 15 degrees is 27% grade, typed too fast or thunk to slow.
I just bought this mower for $50, I'll be checking it out when I get time.
Until it is restored to operation I supposed this thread can take a rest.
Might as well cover the issues in the right section when I run into them.
The mower is a 4 speed older than 1991, since somebody marked that the blade was sharpened then.
Thanks for the help,
-Jim
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qjo4r5U5QSe3dFTt6

Last edited by Tour1 on April 16th 2019, 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos and grammar, removed nonsense that sneaked in.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing?   Hill climbing? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hill climbing?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2