All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Securing Larger Front Tires

Go down 
+2
MightyRaze
WayneTrain2000
6 posters
AuthorMessage
WayneTrain2000
WayneTrain2000

tires - Securing Larger Front Tires Empty
PostSubject: Securing Larger Front Tires   tires - Securing Larger Front Tires Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 12:34 pm

What’s your method of securing larger front wheels and tires? I have 19x7-8 ATV tires on standard rear lawn tractor rims mounted on my front spindles. I welded a large bolt to the end and secure them with a nut and red thread locker. I’ve had my left front tire fall off twice, because the motion of going forward loosens the nut despite any thread locker or anything. The other side obviously doesn’t have a problem, because going forward is spinning the nut right.

I just got the mower up to roughly 30mph, and the last thing I need is a wheel coming off again at that speed. Also, is the stock E clip setup on the rear sufficient? How could I make those more secure as well? I really don’t want to spend money on a hub with lugs, but I could. Open to all suggestions.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Securing Larger Front Tires   tires - Securing Larger Front Tires Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 1:29 pm

Drill a small hole through the bolt either through the nut or through the threaded part where the nut has to come out and put a cotter pin in it.  Be sure there is a washer (2 thrust washers are best) between the nut and wheel.

tires - Securing Larger Front Tires Unbrea10

tires - Securing Larger Front Tires Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
tires - Securing Larger Front Tires Sig214tires - Securing Larger Front Tires Sig314
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Securing Larger Front Tires   tires - Securing Larger Front Tires Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 4:46 pm

I've ran my tractor pretty hard and ever since I upgraded to the spindles with the nice big cotter key instead of the little snap ring I haven't had a problem.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Securing Larger Front Tires   tires - Securing Larger Front Tires Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 5:18 pm

I mostly use cotter pins. If my spindles are custom i use nuts though. What you gotta do is get two nuts, set the inside one where you want, then with two wrenches lock the nuts together without moving the inside one much. I've found this is the best solution.

Lol once i forgot to tighten them more than hand tight and the right front locked up when the nut kept tightening. Good times.
Back to top Go down
BlakeGroce
BlakeGroce

PostSubject: Re: Securing Larger Front Tires   tires - Securing Larger Front Tires Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 7:19 pm

My wheel horse just simply has a bolt that threads into the spindle but I also have bearings in my wheels so I'm sure you couldnt do this with Bushings since it'd probably grab and loosen up. I guess the main question here is do you have bushings or bearings??
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Securing Larger Front Tires   tires - Securing Larger Front Tires Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 7:26 pm

You could drill and tap the ends if you wanted. I had a cub cadet with bolts holding the fronts on. It had bushings on the wheels. Just dont use the bolt to hold tension on the wheel, tighen the bolt against the spindle and use washers to shim it up.
Back to top Go down
BlakeGroce
BlakeGroce

PostSubject: Re: Securing Larger Front Tires   tires - Securing Larger Front Tires Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 7:37 pm

Ah see this is why you dont listen to what I say and listen to people that have experience XD
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Securing Larger Front Tires   tires - Securing Larger Front Tires Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 8:04 pm

As long as the bolts or nuts are tightened against something that isnt the wheel, they shouldn't move.
Back to top Go down
WayneTrain2000
WayneTrain2000

PostSubject: Re: Securing Larger Front Tires   tires - Securing Larger Front Tires Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2020 10:08 pm

I’ve considered a cotter pin and also considered tapping the spindle itself. I think I’m just gonna put the biggest cotter pin I can on all 4 axles to be safe. Maybe even put the rear pins on top of the E clips. I think if I had just been able to put a jamb nut over the other nut I would’ve been fine, but the bolts I welded on aren’t long enough for that.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Securing Larger Front Tires   tires - Securing Larger Front Tires Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2020 6:55 am

Don't reuse the E-clip on the rear axle. I've had it fall off several times. Even at time like these... (You can skip ahead to 1:40). For your rear axle (if you have enough space), just drill a hole and put a cotter pin. As I think you've realized, with the cotter pin the wheel will never come off because the cotter pin spins with the axle. There's nothing to wear it down.

For your front axles, I'd just listen to the advice the others gave. I don't have any suggestions for that. I personally like the drill and tap idea. I'll probably do that on Ol' Blue. But what I do on the MM is just use the stock cotter pins, and whenever I hear a squeak, I grease it. And I ALWAYS keep a close eye on it. Me and my brother have had fronts come off at speed due to the wheel wearing down the cotter pin until it breaks. So I just watch mine very closely until I see it starting to wear. Then I replace it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Securing Larger Front Tires   tires - Securing Larger Front Tires Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Securing Larger Front Tires
Page 1 of 1