All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2

Go down 
+7
TechnoChicken
Brianator
mrshaft696
MightyRaze
Budget_gokart
Rustbucket Garage
Murraymountain
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2   Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2024, 5:55 pm

> I threw one on the floor to see what would happen and it shattered

I assume this is a plastic gear. Maybe they did make it of plastic instead of nylon?

What year is the Malibu? Sort of looks like wife's former 2005, same color 4 door.
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2   Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2024, 4:02 am

Yeah definitely made out of plastic. Got two OEM ones and they actually look like the factory gears lol.

Malibu is a 2000. One generation before yours.

I did get word the bonded title won't work so it's not looking great for it. However I did just spot a Oldsmobile Cutlass of the same generation at the scrap yard about 2 hours ago so I will be stopping by early Monday morning in hopes to get some really cheap parts. If I can then I should have most of the parts I need to finish it. As for now I put the panels back on it and parked it out of the way and mostly out of sight behind a shed.

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Scree292
Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Scree187

The two Yard Machines are pretty much done and ready to go. The black one's deck engages REALLY hard but there's not much I can do about it. The Red one's parking brake doesn't work but I also don't know what to do about that because I thoroughly inspected the entire speed selector system and could not find a single thing missing broken or bent. Anyway I put the belts on the black one and had to clean the carb one more time and it was good to go. The red one I put a new carb on and changed all the belts and it's all good to go! I'm gonna clear coat them when I wash them in a month or two and put them for sale. Same with the Murrays.

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Scree293

The 14/38 Murray I was indeed able to repair the carb on. Very happy about that. I got my new gears in and got it running and driving now. The knock quieted down so that's nice. All the tires are holding wind now. All I need for it now is a grille, clutch pedal pad, starter cover, and a deck belt, all of which I have lined up. So it will be done pretty soon.

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Scree295

The 12/38 Murray I got my new spindle and pulley for. Got it all on and everything fit correctly except the pulley was pretty much a whole pulley width lower than originally. No problem except the brake did not line up now. So I ended up having to take the bracket off and shorten it. Now it's better. The belt alignment is trash but it's a Murray so it'll be fine.

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Scree294
Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Scree296

Got it all put together and was able to mow with it for a while. Didn't have any issues except for it running pretty trashy. So I took the carb apart and the float had fluid in it. So I have a new one on order and that should be the last piece to the puzzle on this one. I'll test it out again once I get the float in and then I'll go park it with the Yard Machines until it's time to wash, clear coat, and list them.

I stopped by a house a couple weeks ago to ask about an early 90s Chevy Lumina that was sitting in the yard. The owner of the car wants $600 for it and it's just too much to ask for a car like that in that condition so I had to pass on that one. However, I found this bugeye Murray sitting on the property when I asked about the car.

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Scree297

So I asked about it and he said he'd let me know. I came back a few days later to see about the price on the car and he hadn't gotten an answer yet from the owner but he said I could have the Murray. So today I took Alfredo over and quite literally yanked it out of it's spot. It had 4 tires off their beads and it was buried. Gave Alfredo a good workout. Anyway, here it is now that I got it home.

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Scree188
Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Scree298
Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Scree189

Yep, you saw that correctly. The back section of this thing is TRASH. When I pulled it off the trailer with Alfredo once I got home, I yanked it one time and it ripped the whole plate off on that one side. The entire rear section of the frame is that way. So I really don't know what to do with this thing. I'm gonna spend some time assessing the condition of everything else on it and see what all it actually needs. If it doesn't need that much to get it going, I'll see what there is over at the junkyard and see if I can just get a whole new frame and swap everything over. If I can't find a frame, I'll just strip it for parts. This is by far the rustiest Widebody I have ever seen.

JB_4x4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2   Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2024, 5:07 am

May be time to rip that one apart for the parts and scrap the rest.

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Sig113PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Sig213Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Sig313
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2   Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2024, 6:09 am

The ol Tacoma frame special eh? Murcoma? Tacurry?

Murraymountain likes this post

Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2   Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2024, 9:58 am

> I found this bugeye Murray sitting on the property when I asked about the car.

Now that you mention it, it does look like a cicada.

Murraymountain likes this post

Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2   Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2024, 2:35 pm

MightyRaze wrote:
May be time to rip that one apart for the parts and scrap the rest.

That’s most likely what will happen. A frame swap honestly doesn’t scare me very much as I could do the whole thing in a single day. It just depends on if I can get one and if everything else is in good shape. But if either of those are not the case then yeah I’m just gonna strip it and scrap the frame.

Rustbucket Garage wrote:
The ol Tacoma frame special eh? Murcoma? Tacurry?

Lol, you know it. I like Murcoma.

Brianator and Rustbucket Garage like this post

Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2   Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2024, 5:40 pm

@Murraymountain

Too bad you are over a 1000 miles from me.  I have a frame, not the greatest but usable you could have.  LOL.

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Sig113PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Sig213Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Sig313
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2   Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 5th 2024, 4:09 am

I have never seen a mower frame rot like that, jeez. I have dug stuff out of the dirt in better shape.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2   Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2024, 3:00 pm

Doug wrote:
I have never seen a mower frame rot like that, jeez. I have dug stuff out of the dirt in better shape.

Yeah I know right. Definitely the worst I have ever seen. I’ve only ever seen surface rust and some pitting. I know what causes it though. The battery starts leaking acid and then the race is on. That explains why it’s only the rear section of the frame. The MM started rusting pretty good too and that was just after 6 months exposure. This shows what happens when you get like 10 years of exposure.
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2   Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2024, 3:53 am

From a rusted frame to a bent frame… I picked up another one. Paid $40 for it. This one had nothing wrong with it Tuesday evening. Got hit by a drunk driver early Wednesday morning. The mower seems to be the first thing she hit and she hit it head on. It took it better than I thought it would but she’s toast. We’re gonna see if we can resurrect the motor since it was a 24HP and maybeeee try to straighten the frame a little just to test the trans. I was told it doesn’t seem too healthy so it will get scrapped if we can’t test it.

The aftermath of the wreck.

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Img_0622
Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Img_0621
Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Img_0620

And the damage pics.

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Img_0625
Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Img_0623
Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Img_0624
Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Img_0626

Right from what I can tell, to get it to run again, it’s gonna need new valve covers, an intake, all throttle controls and an oil drain as it’s busted off in the block. I haven’t seen any cracks in the block or heads as of yet, but I do imagine the heads will probably be cracked underneath the covers. Probably where the rockers mount to is my guess. Hopefully not, but we’ll see. Unlike the Murcoma, there’s pretty much no question of saving this one… it’s junk.

Brianator and JB_4x4 like this post

Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2   Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2024, 8:59 am

Wow, on the positive side, no one was on any of the mowers or they would have been killed. Looks like she MOWED down the stop sign too?

Just a thumbs up for showing the result of not thinking about the welfare of others when you get behind the wheel.

I would wonder if the rear axle is not damaged from the impact. That mower had to either go airborne or pushed under the car and dragged.

> an oil drain as it’s busted off in the block.

If you are talking about the 3/4" steel pipe nipple, I would say the block has to have cracks, it takes a bit just to bend pipe, never mind shear it off.

Was the woman seriously injured or was it all property damage?
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2   Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2024, 4:15 pm

Glad you’re alright man.

I hate drunk drivers.

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2   Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2024, 5:40 am

That's crazy, glad you're okay and didn't pay too much for it! I'd tell her I just paid $200 for it so pay up! Lol

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Work in Progress)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2   Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2024, 12:43 am

JB_4x4 wrote:
Wow, on the positive side, no one was on any of the mowers or they would have been killed.  Looks like she MOWED down the stop sign too?

Just a thumbs up for showing the result of not thinking about the welfare of others when you get behind the wheel.

I would wonder if the rear axle is not damaged from the impact. That mower had to either go airborne or pushed under the car and dragged.

> an oil drain as it’s busted off in the block.

If you are talking about the 3/4" steel pipe nipple, I would say the block has to have cracks, it takes a bit just to bend pipe, never mind shear it off.

Was the woman seriously injured or was it all property damage?

Stop sign and street sign. I got what was left from the grille of her new Honda and took the emblem off. I don’t know about the rear end but I think it’s fine from the collusion. Nothing seemed damaged on the rear. The guy said it was having issues before the accident. The woman was fine I think. So yeah all property damage, luckily not my property. I live wayyy off the road.

Rustbucket Garage wrote:
Glad you’re alright man.

I hate drunk drivers.

Me too bud me too.

Brianator wrote:
That's crazy, glad you're okay and didn't pay too much for it! I'd tell her I just paid $200 for it so pay up! Lol

I think I said that wrong lol. I didn’t own it until after the accident. A guy two miles from me whom I pass by daily had it and I went by Wednesday morning and it she was in the creek and the police were there and the tow truck and all. So I stopped and checked it out on my way back and bought it the next day for $40. If I did have it when it got hit tho, I definitely would’ve been making her pay 😂.

Yesterday I stripped it and got everything I want except the motor. The pulley is rusted on. So once I get that off I’ll throw the frame on the trailer cause I’m about to take the scrap load.

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Img_0627
Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Img_0629

What I’m keeping

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Img_0628

I pulled something in my back the other day trying to load it so I’m taking a break for a while. So I tested the 12/38 Murray out after replacing the float. Did great! So I parked it and took the battery and it’s ready to go!

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Img_0630

JB_4x4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Veteran Member
Murraymountain
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2   Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:54 am

Spent about 3 hours stripping the Widebody down partially today. Tried to get to run too but it has no spark. Eliminated all likely possibilities except a dirty coil. I believe the coil is simply just shot but both bolt snapped so I wasn’t able to determine if it is yet. I know it needs a carb as well.

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Img_0713

Considering the rest of the mower, the deck is phenomenal. All it needs is a spindle casing and bearings on one side. I’ll clean it and paint it and oil it up while I’m there.

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Img_0712
Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Img_0711

The rear wheels came off without too much fighting. Did have to hammer them off but they came off pretty quickly. The front ones wouldn’t even spin. The list is long and I really shouldn’t take this on but I most likely will lol.

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Img_0715
Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Img_0714

JB_4x4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2   Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:16 am

Now that is a rusty pulley. Though I think the crack is beyond JB Weld, though, you never know!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2   Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2 - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Murraymountain's Deal Flipping Thread PT2
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6