All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build

Go down 
+26
nathan wilson
Moose
the craftsman mudder
Krawler86
simplicity14twin
tractor_guy
Thecrazyoldcraftman
TheRainbowBoxer
truckin42
redlinemotorsportts
Doug
mudmonkey06
johndeeremad19
Ford Boi
Viking1980
welder1991
MSteele323
Thevinnieman92
indianaboy93
motorhead45102
arild365
Mississippi1313
Yamaharules163
Chunk
dangeroustoys56
Webmaster
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Empty
PostSubject: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2010, 3:56 pm

Update on the craftsman! If your seeing this for the first time, then you can see how I got started in some of my videos on youtube. Click here to go to my youtube channel!

Got a little bit more done on the craftsman over the past two days. I got the mounting points on the tranny reinforced, I think I may do some more cross bracing in the center of the frame.

[img]Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2647[/img]

I also got the seat mounted... I need a new seat though. I mounted it so it is still suspended by springs so you dont hurt your ass when you hit some bumps.

[img]Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2644[/img]

[img]Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2645[/img]

Also starting to add some armor to this thing to make it indestructable. So I started ripping off the crappy sheet metal and stamped steel parts and replace them with something more light weight and durable...

[img]Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2646[/img]

Rock sliders!

[img]Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2649[/img]

[img]Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2648[/img]

These things are ALOT stronger.... And they sit up higher then the original foot rests for a little more ground clearance.

[img]Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2653[/img]

Last edited by FearlessFront on February 11th 2010, 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2010, 3:59 pm

Some dimond plate foot-rest-plate-thingies.. LOL!

[img]Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2650[/img]

But they still wouldn't hold the weight of the tractor and the rider slamming down on some rocks. So I added some more bracing to support the weight.

[img]Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2651[/img]

One side all done! ..... for now... lol

[img]Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2652[/img]

Other side done!

[img]Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2654[/img]

More to come soon! Almost time for a test drive video!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 11th 2010, 7:34 pm

Shweet! Comming along nice!
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2010, 6:13 am

Its looking really nice! You planning on using the rear sheetmetal?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2010, 7:28 am

Chunk wrote:

I could, but I'd have to trim it. I'll see how it looks with it on there... This thing is gonna need some serious paint.... But What color???
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2010, 8:02 am

FearlessFront wrote:
Chunk wrote:

I could, but I'd have to trim it. I'll see how it looks with it on there... This thing is gonna need some serious paint.... But What color???

I think you should definatly put the sheet metal on, it would loose it's 'tractor' look otherwise.

These 'cube' tractors always look good yellow. I've seen a couple on youtube painted like that. Yellow with glack grill would look awesome I think!
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2010, 8:22 am

Yeah, I was thinking a bright color too! Like lime green or something really obnoxious ha ha... Yellow might work. If I can chop up that sheetmetal and make it look good, then I will probably use it. I'd have to reinforce it so it's not so flimsy... I want to be able to jump up and down on any surface on this machine, however keeping it ultra-light at the same time. I don't know if it'll work that way.

On a side note, i'm already thinking about my next build... lol.. I'm gonna turn the next craftsman into a rediculously fast, lowered, twin powered, death machine.. gonna be awhile though!
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2010, 10:31 am

FearlessFront wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking a bright color too! Like lime green or something really obnoxious ha ha... Yellow might work. If I can chop up that sheetmetal and make it look good, then I will probably use it. I'd have to reinforce it so it's not so flimsy... I want to be able to jump up and down on any surface on this machine, however keeping it ultra-light at the same time. I don't know if it'll work that way.

On a side note, i'm already thinking about my next build... lol.. I'm gonna turn the next craftsman into a rediculously fast, lowered, twin powered, death machine.. gonna be awhile though!

Yeah, I need mine to be strong too. Im planning to reinforce the back sheet metal. Use a couple legnth of one inch angle. Should to nicely.

Are you gonna use the one with the Briggs or the Teccy? Cant wait to see that. Can never have enough toys huh? I might be getting a 125 moped engine to use in my racing mower when I build it. THat'll save me ALOT of work. And should be able to reach 50mph easily
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2010, 4:38 pm

I like the bright lime green n black- i saw a toyota pickup like that and looked awsome.

What if you find some lightweight fenders- maybe trailer fenders?

Yeah im gnawing at the bit here- i want to start my wizard, MTD and wheelhorse mods- i wanna try one out in the mud!
Back to top Go down
Yamaharules163
Yamaharules163

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 12th 2010, 11:56 pm

Nice build. I like the foot rests. Is your mig a Flux core or does it use gas?
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2010, 8:30 am

Yamaharules163 wrote:
Nice build. I like the foot rests. Is your mig a Flux core or does it use gas?

Gassless mig.... I can hook argon up to it, I just haven't. I fly through spools of wire and pay through the ass for electricity to run it. I donno if it is worth getting the gas were I'm just welding thin stuff. I've only ever broken 1 weld.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2010, 8:59 am

FearlessFront wrote:
I fly through spools of wire and pay through the ass for electricity to run it. I donno if it is worth getting the gas were I'm just welding thin stuff. I've only ever broken 1 weld.

Man, I know what you mean. Expensive as hell to run. Good thing I dont use mine too often!
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2010, 7:02 pm

Did a little more today...

I didn't like the way the belt was setting up in the rear, it was possable for the belt to rub on the belt retainer for the tranny pulley, if you adjusted the tentioner all the way out.... or in... or whatever.... So I added this

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2655

So that makes me happier about that... You can see in the top of the pic, where it would have rubbed. It's shiney because I tried to get the clearance I needed by removing some metal.... didn't work. Rolling Eyes

So now, with the belt set up, I turned my attention to the skid plate for the transaxle... Would you believe me if I told you that the stock foot rest fits around the bottom of the tranny perfectly?

Well.....

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2657

It does! And it even has holes to mount it in the front. I had to cut it in half because the contour of the foot rest went down instead of up. Then I started to make the mounts, which is tricky, because it all has to bolt on and be strong. All this while not ruining my ground clearance. scratch

Heres the begining of the rear mount.

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2656

All tacked together...

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2658

Welding it up solid...

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2659

Added a rear diff guard with the other piece of the foot rest.. lol!

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2660

Bolted on.

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2661

Now for the front...

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2662

Gonna try and do that one tomorrow... It's gonna have to be BEEFY!

Then who knows, maybe a quick test drive? Ive been itching to see how much faster it goes...
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2010, 12:44 pm

Thats cool how it fitted around the tranny. You planning to slope the guard at the front?
This is another thing on my never ending 'to-do' list I need to do.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2010, 2:05 pm

THAT is the shiznit! Its awsome! Its cool y found out a foot rest would work- less work on your part.- neat how y wrapped it up the back as well.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2010, 3:38 pm

TODAYS PROGRESS:

I used a piece of the mower decks front hanger. Its made of the same stuff as the foot rest and has the perfect slope on it.

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2669

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2670

Welded solid and re-installed

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2671

The reason I used the mower deck hanger piece, is because I could cut off the old hanger reciever, under the front axle, and weld it to a new mount so you could still use the giant pin. So it worked perfectly.

Here is the front mounting bracket being made.

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2672

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2674

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2673

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2675

ALL DONE!

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2679

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2680

I may need to do a little reinforcing here and there, and I'm concidering adding another wide skid plate that sits just foward of that one, so nothing can get to the belts. Donno yet...

UPDATE AND TEST DRIVE VIDEO COMING SOON!
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2010, 5:19 pm

That's why having spares is soo useful. Cant wait to see a video of her.
btw I'd make a belt gaurd / plate thing. I've had problems before with sticks and crap getting jammed up under there. My plan is to have a second plate underneath the pulley's so it's all hidden and safe.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2010, 5:34 pm

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... Just makes belt access a little more challenging, thats all. I Just might do it....
Back to top Go down
Mississippi1313
Mississippi1313

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 14th 2010, 6:22 pm

This thing is going to be a BEAST!!
Glad to see some updates.
Back to top Go down
Mississippi1313
Mississippi1313

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 18th 2010, 6:58 pm

are you planning on getting a bigger motor for it?
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2010, 5:47 pm

Mississippi1313 wrote:
are you planning on getting a bigger motor for it?

Not sure yet. I'm thinking of putting some 13" wheels from a honda civic and put some aggresive snow tires or something on them to get some height under it. If it boggs too much, then I'll have to do something.

Some more progress this weekend. Started on the front end. The goal here is to get maximum flex, while keeping it strong, light, and steer-able; all while tring to lift it as little as possable.

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2697

It had a nylon insert in the front axle....

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2698

...Which I replaced with metal...

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2699

semi-mounted... Lifted 1"

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2700

its a start...

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2701

Starting to reiforce it....

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2702

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2703

Kept messing with it a little more. I got a little more flex out of it. I put on a tire, and the steering to check if everything would still work maxed out in either direction.... So far so good.

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2704

Ive still got alot to do on it. Way more reinforcing and some tweaking to see if I can get a little more out of it. But so far, im happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mississippi1313
Mississippi1313

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2010, 7:23 pm

Nice.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 21st 2010, 8:59 pm

Cool- have y checked how the steering would work with the extreme flex yet? Full drop on that side shouldnt be an issue- just full hilt i think might be an issue... the steering comes off the left side of the tractor - i dunno if y might need bump stops.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2010, 5:48 am

This is starting to come along really nicely. Ive got this week off, so expect updates on mine soon!
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2010, 8:58 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Cool- have y checked how the steering would work with the extreme flex yet? Full drop on that side shouldnt be an issue- just full hilt i think might be an issue... the steering comes off the left side of the tractor - i dunno if y might need bump stops.

Yeah, when your right, your right!

It actually does pretty good! at full compression on the left side, the linkage does come very close! I will have to put in some steering stops, not so much for the linkage, but more for the tires rubbing.

Here are some small update pics, didn't work on it much, mostly reinforcing and checking clearances...

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2716

Mocked up with steering and tires. (yes they rub.. lol!)

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2714

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build 100_2713

That should be enough travel... Not quite as much as I originaly wanted, but good enough! 8" from full droop, to full compress. Gotta figure out how im gonna keep it stable though... Springs, or shocks or I was also thinking about using those gas charged shocks you see on hatchback cars. I have 2 of them and they are the perfect length. It's a low speed machine, so they could work. Unless I find something better.

Oh yeah, I'm putting a new mudding vid up today, keep your eyes peeled. It's gonna be a good one! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next