All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build

Go down 
+26
nathan wilson
Moose
the craftsman mudder
Krawler86
simplicity14twin
tractor_guy
Thecrazyoldcraftman
TheRainbowBoxer
truckin42
redlinemotorsportts
Doug
mudmonkey06
johndeeremad19
Ford Boi
Viking1980
welder1991
MSteele323
Thevinnieman92
indianaboy93
motorhead45102
arild365
Mississippi1313
Yamaharules163
Chunk
dangeroustoys56
Webmaster
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2010, 7:42 pm

Very cool! Itll be a serious beast when its done. I like how it looks- i always sit back n think- " pretty cool stuff can be done with a lawntractor never built or intended to do stuff like that."
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2010, 9:31 pm

is that your murray beside it. Man thats a nice tractor.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2010, 9:20 am

yeah, I posed it there.. I can't believe it still didn't lift up a rear wheel. It was maxed out though. Still lots to be done. and my grinder just shit the bed, so that sucks...
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2010, 10:03 am

I couldn't work without a grinder 0.o Sucks about that.

I like how it can just about run over your murray! Pretty sweet. That bolt is a big one. I'll be amazed if that broke.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2010, 11:56 am

Chunk wrote:
That bolt is a big one. I'll be amazed if that broke.

I Think the axle would bend before the bolt bends or breaks! Lets hope that never happends.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2010, 12:32 pm

Yeah - some tools y dont use often- but when y need it and its broken they youre like " ARGH!".

I used my grinder and drill yesterday to hack up those MTD fenders and drill some new holes- i tell y one of those step bits is the most handiest tool ever- i use mine all the time and it still cuts like butta - doesnt wear out/break like drill bits- its a wise investment.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2010, 3:03 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Yeah - some tools y dont use often- but when y need it and its broken they youre like " ARGH!".

I used my grinder and drill yesterday to hack up those MTD fenders and drill some new holes- i tell y one of those step bits is the most handiest tool ever- i use mine all the time and it still cuts like butta - doesnt wear out/break like drill bits- its a wise investment.

I really really really want one of those! I always wondered how they work, it looks like a brillant idea!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 14th 2010, 8:43 pm

Theyre awsome- they work great- i used em earlier to drill holes for the hood bars on the mod MTD.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2010, 3:59 pm

What do you mean step bits? Sorry if that's a daft question. Just a set of drill bets that go up in size?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 15th 2010, 9:30 pm

Heres a link: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326869_200326869

id highly suggest getting one, i have a 3 piece set of them.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 19th 2010, 10:44 pm

oh i seen those bits. never used any though, like scale 1-10 how much better do these last and cut than reg, bits, cause i burnt up a new bit after drilling 5-9 holes.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2010, 6:58 am

Wow. So instead of drilling a hole by going up in sizes through a drill bit set, you can do it in a oner. That's an awesome idea. Might have to get some.
As motor head said though, how do they compare to regular metal drill bits?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2010, 11:15 am

well- had my set now for almost 2 years n they still cut great - tons better then a regular bit.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 20th 2010, 10:02 pm

I saw a nice irwin step drill bit at lowes, it was $42... I didn't buy it though... It looks like it would do the trick.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2010, 4:14 am

My 3 piece set was only $15 - those 3 are all i need , i just grabbed the link for the first one i came across on NT.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2010, 11:20 am

Dangeroustoys, what brand are those, and where did you get them? I've yet to see good ones that cheap... Also, do they have 1 or 2 cutting groves on them? I see alot of the cheaper one only have 1, and the expencive ones have 2.

And now, a little update... I've been doing 2 things at once... Sort of..lol..

First the front suspention, I wanted something that would keep it from suddenly tipping over because it has soo much travel. So I used gas charged struts that I found. They are the perfect length. I used thick ass angle steel to mount them on.

(Ignore the exhaust, its just there to keep hot slag out of the motor, same with the white thing on the carb)

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 100_2752

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 100_2751

I can still access everything on the motor, but now i need to make a custom exaust to clear the new shock tower. I welded bolts where I wanted to have the shock ends, and just have to thread the nuts on to keep them in place.

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 100_2753

Both sides done...

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 100_2754

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 100_2755

It actually works quite well. I'll have to make a video of it to show it in action... It makes cool "woosh woosh" sounds when you cycle it back and forth. lol!

And yes, the hood clears it no problem!

And I started on the rear wheel swap, I've got some 13" honda wheels and tires, which will be replaced with something more aggresive.

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 100_2756

I hope I don't grenade the transaxle! I also took one of the two rear tires i had that dont hold air, and cut up the wheel until I had just the hub and a plate to mount some wheel studs onto. The plan will be to weld them onto the axle shafts, and bolt the wheel to them.

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 100_2757

Another veiw...

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 100_2758

So Thats it for now... I'm gonna go out today and get a new angle grinder... I wanted a dewalt but I'd rather not spend that much... I'm gonna spend more then I want to anyway..

I'm looking at a Skil at lowes for $30 or a kawasaki at tractor supply for $40.... I'm gonna try them out and see what I think... I may just have to cough up the $$$$ for the Dewalt though... Rolling Eyes

What do you all think? What do you guys use?
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2010, 12:58 pm

i have a mastercraft and never had any problems with it. quite expencive
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2010, 1:14 pm

This is the link for the bits i have : http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200313494_200313494
I think mine have one slot- but they cut damn good- im impressed- plus saves me from buying a ton of drill bits.

I like those lifts on the front axle- its cool y can still run the hood ( good thing for those tall craftsman hoods).

Those rear wheels will be huge! Add some mud tires n itd be beefy.

Y know, the way it works is if y buy a powertool cheep- thats what y get. id spend a lil more n buy a dewalt then youll have it a long time . Ive always been told " dont go cheep on stuff- itll bite y back later " by my dad- he bot his first dewalt 9.6 volt screw gun many years ago, he ran thru 2 sets of batteries before the armature finally gave out - he swears by dewalt.

I bot my 12volt screw gun at a yard sale a few years back - for like $10 , well used, had the battery, charger and flashlight - i still have it.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2010, 2:18 pm

Dewalt is a good brand, but you do pay for it.

I have and old black and decker (I think) angle grinder, its lasted years. I think it may give up in the next couple of years though. It was my dads. Hes more into wood than metal, so I sorta accired it from him, same with alot of tools I have, and good hting is they're all fairly old too, so nice and strong!

I probably wouldnt go for a DeWalt, go for something mid range in price.

Its cool to see the shocks in action, its an idea Ive thought about for a couple of years. Never really had to need for it though. Cant wait to see the vid! I dunno if I'd need any for mine. Its got ALOT more travel than stock, and is gonna hit about 20mph. I think I might make mounts for them, just incase I decided I did need them
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 21st 2010, 3:06 pm

those shocks are soo cool, we have a dewalt grinder and it works soo good, ive never had a problem with it, when i was cutting the wheel off the other day that thing was getting really hot, but still kept doing its job
Back to top Go down
Yamaharules163
Yamaharules163

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2010, 7:11 pm

definetly gonna be a sick machine!
Back to top Go down
Yamaharules163
Yamaharules163

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2010, 1:26 pm

can I get a picture request of how you made your belt tensioner?
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 26th 2010, 8:33 pm

Yamaharules163 wrote:
can I get a picture request of how you made your belt tensioner?

Sure, what is it that you need a picture of? It's in one of my videos towards the middle...

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBLBFpmYGKs

If you still want pics, let me know.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2010, 10:56 am

so fearless how are things going with your rock crawler?
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2010, 1:46 pm

Well today, I tried to recover some video from my camera, but it turns out it's junk... Rolling Eyes So any updates I do will have to be through pics for now. I gotta find a cheap camera either used, or a cheap new one. I already have a 4 gig memory stick. I hate these tapes, I'm done with this "mini dv" junk.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2010, 1:51 pm

man that sucks, the only camera i have that records SOUND is my cell phone, the cheap vivitar cameras don't record sound its just a pic cam. which is stupid. so don't get vivitar unless ya don't like sound.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build   Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Custom Craftsman Rock-Crawler build
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next