All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Spicer replacement

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jonathan09

Spicer replacement Empty
PostSubject: Spicer replacement   Spicer replacement Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2017, 2:31 pm

I have a 96 murray mower that came with a spicer 4900-3 hydro transaxle. The transmission started making a loud grinding noise and quit moving according to the PO. I haven't had much luck finding any info or parts for it. Anyone know of a transmission that may work that I can swap it out with?
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Spicer replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spicer replacement   Spicer replacement Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2017, 3:03 pm

I think just about any HydroGear or Peerless Hydrostatic transaxle should work, assuming they are vertical input. You could also go with a Peerless or Spicer/Foote/Dana geared transaxle, but you will have to come up with some sort of shifter (I assume you have the foot pedal setup?), possibly a clutch if you don't have one already. Also will have to figure out belt sizes because the Hydros use smaller transmission pulleys. You could keep the hydro pulley size but the mower will be considerably faster, maybe 10mph top speed.

Also, welcome to ATLTF! cheers

Last edited by RichieRichOverdrive on June 12th 2017, 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i'm stupid)
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Spicer replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spicer replacement   Spicer replacement Icon_minitimeJune 12th 2017, 8:27 pm

Not feeling good about the grinding, but does that transaxle have a purge process to get the air out? Typically running forward and reverse several times with the hydro release on, then again without it on in normal drive mode.

Something to think about.

Spicer replacement Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Spicer replacement Sig214Spicer replacement Sig314
Back to top Go down
Jonathan09

Spicer replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spicer replacement   Spicer replacement Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2017, 2:32 am

RichieRichOverdrive wrote:
I think just about any HydroGear or Peerless Hydrostatic transaxle should work, assuming they are vertical input. You could also go with a Peerless or Spicer/Foote/Dana geared transaxle, but you will have to come up with some sort of shifter (I assume you have the foot pedal setup?), possibly a clutch if you don't have one already. Also will have to figure out belt sizes because the Hydros use smaller transmission pulleys. You could keep the hydro pulley size but the mower will be considerably faster, maybe 10mph top speed.

Also, welcome to ATLTF! cheers

Thanks for the advice and welcome! Yes the stock setup has a foot pedal for forward/reverse. I thought about upgrading to a geared transaxle but haven't decided yet. My dad has an old parts lawnmower with a hydro gear in it so I may steal that and try it first. I want to start my first mud mower build soon. I've got a few potential candidates for machines but this isn't one of them haha. I ran across fearless fronts vids on YouTube and have binge watched his channel along with some others.

mightyraze wrote:
Not feeling good about the grinding, but does that transaxle have a purge process to get the air out?  Typically running forward and reverse several times with the hydro release on,  then again without it on in normal drive mode.

Something to think about.

I spent a few hours today messing with wiring and finally gave up and jumpered the solenoid to the battery and the engine runs like a champ. I think my next project will be getting rid of wiring and stripping down to the essentials with a toggle kill stitch and push button ignition. When that's finished I'm going to change the fluid and do the air purge. I hadn't thought about purging.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spicer replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spicer replacement   Spicer replacement Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spicer replacement
Page 1 of 1