All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor

Go down 
+16
mh434
Rustbucket Garage
diddie
mistavp05
CraftsmanQuad19
Double W Cross Ranch
darkside0914
RichieRichOverdrive
SebastianAlbrecht
Creepycrawler
MatthewD
prancstaman
Crazy_Carl
AllisKidD21
MightyRaze
TourMax
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
TourMax

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2021, 2:43 pm

Been a while. MUT is doing fine, just beating on it with winter plowing and summer dirt moving.

But it's a bear to "armstrong" around with the plow or bucket. It's also showing the wear of using it hard. There's little niggling faults here and there and some parts are just wearing faster than others.

So, I've decided it needs to go to the next level. it gets torn down to the frame this spring and rebuilt.

Plans:

-Add Hyd pump - https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Pumps/Gear-Pumps/0-36-cu-in-Dynamic-GPF2006PC-Hydraulic-Pump-9-7787-B.axd
-Add 55 amp alternator
-Hydraulic steering (basically, a JD 318 system)
-Double spool valve
-Hydraulic front end loader
-Choking me out in the cab, so new exhaust system (muffler is shot anyways)
-Redo the cab so it's a a bit less "hillbilly engineered"
-The rear disc brakes are OK, but a little undersized for the weight. Planning to space the rims out an inch or two and kick the disc sizes up to 298 or 300mm. Might go with some 4 pot brake calipers and master cylinders to match. Either way, the rig just needs more brake for is weight.
-Straighten the tins and give it all a fresh spray

Hyd diagram:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Hydrau10

Essentially, the top half is the JD318 system and since the MUT doesn't have a hydro unit, I had to add the lower half to provide hyd power (IE: pump, reservoir, relief, etc)

Parts are in hand or on the way. Should have a couple grand it it when done. Already have (maybe) just a tick over a grand in the hydraulic parts right now, but all I have left to need is some steel lines and fittings. I'll flare my own JIC lines, so money saved there. Hyd lines cost you a left n*t if you have them made, luckily I can make my own.

Probably have another $500-1000 in steel to order to get the loader and new bucket built.  

Pricey, but that's what it takes to get the capability to where I want it.

That's still a good 10-15 grand less than buying one ready made (don't even look at the price of a SCUT!). And used, well, nothing really shows up around here like that unless it's worn past being usable or way overpriced to where you might as well buy new.

Should be ready to go by next winter I'm guessing. Probably won't be any updates until it's done or nearly done. Not much of a "forum guy" anymore....

Last edited by TourMax on February 25th 2021, 2:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2021, 2:45 pm

This will be a good series.  Will be following along.

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Sig214MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Sig314
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2021, 2:53 pm

I just discovered this thread and gotta say, that is COOL. Very, very impressive work there! Where are you buying steel? 500 in steel seems expensive to me but maybe if you are using thicker stuff that’s why.
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2021, 2:58 pm

Rustbucket Garage wrote:
I just discovered this thread and gotta say, that is COOL. Very, very impressive work there! Where are you buying steel? 500 in steel seems expensive to me but maybe if you are using thicker stuff that’s why.

Canada.

Everything is more expensive up here.
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2021, 3:58 pm

That makes sense. Gotta say, after blowing some mountain snow I’m jealous of that cab there! By the time I’m done I look like a snowman Laughing
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2021, 7:45 pm

Decided to make another change.

I've always disliked the belt drive. It's cheap, you never know when it's going to engage at what part of the pedal travel and it often grabs and just jerks the tractor forward.

I figure if I'm to tear it down to the frame again, I might as well point my toes and go in deep.

I'm going hydraulic drive.

I've acquired the pump, travel control valve and hydraulic motor from a case 446. It's a pretty simple system:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Hydrau11

The Travel Control Valve is really the heart of it all. The spool has a neutral (no drive/bypass) and pushing back on it gets you reverse and forward gets you forward. How far you open the valve determines your ground speed.

The belt clutch pedal will go bye bye and there will be a travel foot pedal that will control the speed as well as forward and reverse. NIce thing is I can leave the briggs running at the speeds that will drive the pumps where they want to be driven and not have to worry about clutching to move.

The Briggs 18 hp will then have no connection to the tractor other than to drive the pumps.

The hyd motor will either drive the peerless 820 by a belt (just pick a forward gear and leave it there, no more worrying about that stupid little reverse chain breaking and taking out the transaxle case) or I'll find a rear axle out of something small and cut it down to tractor size. I'm leaning towards the cut down axle, as it will also give me brakes, but it's more likely I graft a pulley on the hyd motor splined shaft and drive the peerless with a fixed belt.

It will also make loader use much smoother as you can speed up to hit the pile and then go back to neutral on the travel valve and stop.

Now it's just a matter of building it.....

Last edited by TourMax on February 28th 2021, 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2021, 8:00 pm

This build keeps getting cooler and cooler by the post! Going to add some auxiliary hydraulic functions as well?
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2021, 8:09 pm

Rustbucket Garage wrote:
This build keeps getting cooler and cooler by the post! Going to add some auxiliary hydraulic functions as well?

That's what the JD hyd system is for.

I've got a 3 spool valve and a two spool valve to put in that system. Lots of room for future expansion, but the loader frame is about all I'm after right now. IT will have a "quick tach" type system so I can switch between bucket, plow, forks, etc.

More functions is just a matter of plumbing in a few quick disconnects.
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFebruary 28th 2021, 8:26 pm

Goodness, this is going to be a subcompact by the time you are done! This very well is probably among the top three most interesting tractors on the forum. MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 2731072446
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMarch 1st 2021, 11:46 am

I was thinking about how I was going to get the Case hyd motor drive to the rear wheels. I was considering machining a pulley to mount on the Case splined shaft:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 110

but that would mean I'd need to machine an internal spline pulley, install a support bearing, build brackets, shields and so on. Doable, but I wasn't looking forward to it. Not to mention the time it would take.

A Case 220 rear axle showed up on ebay:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 112

Not the cheapest option to get power to the wheels, but all those hours building a belt system from the hyd motor to the 820 aren't without value. All I have to do with the Case axle is make the chassis mounts and slide the hyd motor into its place. I'd need a shifter lever, as the Case is a hi/low axle. It also has a trans brake, which I'll use as a parking brake and build independent axle brakes for differential steering and a poor mans diff locker (diff is open, step on brake of spinning wheel and the one with traction will drive). With all this, I'd have a complete Case driveline from the pump to the tires and that's not too shabby.

I offered the seller 200 and he accepted. Not too bad, but shipping is the same over again.

Pricey, but I'll end up with a better end product, capable of carrying more weight than the peerless 820 ever could and it will save me days/weeks in fabricating a hyd to belt drive. I'll be able to just slide the Case hyd motor into the axle housing and then it's just make some lines.

prancstaman likes this post

Back to top Go down
mh434
mh434

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMarch 2nd 2021, 3:35 pm

Looking forward to your progress!! Seems like a VERY cool idea.
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2021, 5:46 pm

Got tired of the muffler leaking and filling the cab with CO.

Grabbed an old kohler magnum 18 muffler I had lying around and:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 E4616510

Had to make the downpipes and cut the original exit out to make it a side exit so it didn’t point straight down.

With the carb heat shield back on you can’t tell much is different:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 0feb1d10

Tomorrow it all gets pulled off, cleaned up and a shot of high temp flat black paint.

Other than the tailpipe and maybe the exhaust note (haven’t started it yet).

I split the front bodywork tomorrow and stretch it about 3-4 inches to make room for hyd coolers, hud reservoir, etc.

Last edited by TourMax on March 3rd 2021, 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2021, 7:21 pm

Had a chance to run it with new muffler. Sounds great! Much quieter and a deeper tone. Should produce less restriction than the b&s “breadloaf” muffler as its at least twice the size of the original. I cut that old one open and the path through the muffler was so twisted and the path so small that I don’t know how it passed any exhaust at all. That might be why it was blowing out the top and at the manifold pipes (ie:backpressure). So the majority of the exhaust wasn’t being directed down and out by the pipes, it was accumulating inside the front bodywork which was causing me to be “choked out” of the cab every time I used it.
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2021, 1:43 pm

Nose job!

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 3f8b2810

Thats 4 inches. I need the space to fit hyd coolers and the reservoir.
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2021, 6:09 pm

Been a while since I’ve done sheet metal fab, but its coming back to me:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 7780b110

Like riding a bike. You may get rusty, but you never forget.

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2021, 3:24 pm

fenders stretched, just need some cleanup and then into body fill and paint. So, time to stretch the hood:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Fr_47413

I made sure to split it at the point where there are the least body lines and it was as flat as possible. Makes it easier to get a new section in there with the least amount of metal work.

Rustbucket Garage likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2021, 5:49 pm

I believe you mentioned in a previous post that the front grille is aesthetically displeasing to you. Do you plan to modify it?
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2021, 10:27 pm

Rustbucket Garage wrote:
I believe you mentioned in a previous post that the front grille is aesthetically displeasing to you. Do you plan to modify it?

I don’t recall saying that, but memory isn’t what it used to be so maybe I did!

Nah, the nose doesn’t bother me too much. But I am looking to change up the headlight openings. The big wrap around lights are a Murray thing, but it looks a little bit too...lawn mower-y for my tastes.

Haven’t nailed down exactly what I want to do. Still considering shapes and styles of led spot lamps.

Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2021, 7:52 pm

So, I made some changes which necessitated cutting one fender again and redoing the hood.

It was a little crooked and I just couldn’t stand looking at it without my ocd going nuts. The front panel/grill also leaned back from the bend at its mid point, which limited space behind it. So I reworked the bend to allow the top pice to stand straight up rather than leaning back. More space and it makes it look less like a lawn tractor and more like a GT. It’s also why I had to cut the hood apart again, no lean means the hood needed to be longer.

The Murray plastic lights are going in the trash. They’re both cracked, glued and yellowed. If you do find a used set, they’re not much better. So I’m going to fill the original openings and create headlight buckets on each side. Then a simple and easy 3.5”x2” square led light will go in each bucket.

Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2021, 7:01 pm

Working on the headlight area:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 48e32310

Not bad as a first try. Pretty close but I got the contour to the fender wrong, which angled the box down towards the center of the tractor. Thats a simple fix: just cut that side down and the box will level out. Then its just more welding and grinding.

These lights are going in the new space:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 0b6ccc10[/url]

Amber side lights with strobes for when I’m plowing and its dark out. Should look pretty neat.

MightyRaze and Rustbucket Garage like this post

Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2021, 7:37 pm

Augh! Metal work close to done:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 8842ed10
MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 8ec64210

Another day or two of metal work and I’ll be able to start mudding it.

I’m not sure what kind of paint they’ve got on it, but it seems like when I hit it with the flap wheel it just kind of “melts, clogs up the wheel and then it just spreads around weirdest thing I’ve ever seen (when stripping paint). I may have to chemical strip it instead.
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2021, 9:49 pm

Nice work, looks very clean! I’m almost certain it was powder coated. It’s basically a melted plastic power applied with compressed air and electrostatic charge. It’s pretty strong stuff but it can’t prevent rust. Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2021, 10:32 pm

Rustbucket Garage wrote:
Nice work, looks very clean! I’m almost certain it was powder coated. It’s basically a melted plastic power applied with compressed air and electrostatic charge. It’s pretty strong stuff but it can’t prevent rust. Hope that helps.

Could be, but I’ve stripped powder coat before and it’s never behaved like this stuff. Comes off just like any other paint finish.
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMarch 10th 2021, 11:00 am

The MUT is an “outdoor dog” most of the time.

Being a vertical shaft engine, it draws air in though louvers in the hood like nearly every other vert shaft ride on out there.

That's an ok arrangement for something like a ride on,  where you cut the grass and throw it back in the shed or under a tarp. But its not so great for leaving it outside. Rain funnels right in on top of the engine and snow goes everywhere and packs right in.

I would cover the louvers when done using the MUT with a piece of plywood the right size for the job, but I'd forget it as much as I would remember to put it on the hood.

So the hood louvers had to go for a more "set it and forget it" solution :

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 B2fdb110

Too bad, I liked the way Murray did those. But a big hole in the hood os even worse than the louvers, so:

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 F1846810
MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 6baba910

Nice big opening and rain/snow protection. Not my favorite look, but function over form is the rule here. A little lower would probably be more aesthetically pleasing, but it would also reduce the front opening below 2”, so this is the way it has to be.
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMarch 10th 2021, 3:21 pm

An idea if you wanted to retain the louvres would be to cut out some of the nose and put in a piece of your louvres. I won’t tell you how to build your machine though, you are doing a fantastic job either way. MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 2731072446
Back to top Go down
TourMax

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMarch 10th 2021, 3:26 pm

Rustbucket Garage wrote:
An idea if you wanted to retain the louvres would be to cut out some of the nose and put in a piece of your louvres. I won’t tell you how to build your machine though, you are doing a fantastic job either way. MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 2731072446

It's an idea, but that area will be filled with the hydraulic reservoir/tank and below it will be the main Hyd cooler. So you'd be able to see through the louvers, but it would be nothing but a big aluminum tank.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MUT: Murray Utility Tractor   MUT: Murray Utility Tractor - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MUT: Murray Utility Tractor
Page 11 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next