All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
New Top Tractor Challenge and Build-Off Profile Buttons on the menu bar! . . .
2020 Build-Off Winners . . . 1-Hillbilly Offroading . . . 2-darkside0914
HASPIN 2021 . . . Wednesday June 23rd through Sunday June 27th.
2021 Top Tractor Challenge August 14 competition –August 15 competitors ride, Pymatuning Pennsylvania **INFO HERE**
No 2021 Build-Off. Will return in 2022. Stay tuned later this year for rule changes!

Retreading LT/GT tires?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rustbucket Garage
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Rustbucket Garage

Forum Rep : 28

Retreading LT/GT tires? Empty
PostSubject: Retreading LT/GT tires?   Retreading LT/GT tires? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2021 8:18 am

Thought for you guys that I just had. Anyone know if LT and GT tires could be retreaded? I was wondering if that might be cheaper than buying new tires. That said, seems most of the tires I’ve seen have dry rotted before the treads wore out, but if the sidewalks were in good condition it would be nice in that you could get ags without buying ags, right? Let me know if this might work.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
mr.modified

Forum Rep : 127

PostSubject: Re: Retreading LT/GT tires?   Retreading LT/GT tires? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2021 9:06 am

I don't know if there's enough rubber left to cut new grooves without getting into the cords. Maybe if you don't go for full depth tread. I know you can get tire groovers online for around $50 for a cheaper one. Don't know how well they work but I always wanted to get one. Basically just a heated cutter kinda thing. I guess you'd have to try one and see. Or you might cut a junk tire in half and see how thick they are before they get to the cords.

Rustbucket Garage likes this post

Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
RichieRichOverdrive

Forum Rep : 125

PostSubject: Re: Retreading LT/GT tires?   Retreading LT/GT tires? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2021 2:15 pm

I've tried regrooving turf tires. If you have more time than money then it might be worth it. I wouldn't bother to do it again.

MightyRaze and Rustbucket Garage like this post

Back to top Go down
mr.modified
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
mr.modified

Forum Rep : 127

PostSubject: Re: Retreading LT/GT tires?   Retreading LT/GT tires? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2021 6:48 pm

What did you use to do them rich?
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
RichieRichOverdrive

Forum Rep : 125

PostSubject: Re: Retreading LT/GT tires?   Retreading LT/GT tires? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2021 11:43 am

If i remember correctly it was a hot chisel. That or an angle grinder. Might've tried a dremel with a ¼" end too. It takes forever either way.
Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Rustbucket Garage

Forum Rep : 28

PostSubject: Re: Retreading LT/GT tires?   Retreading LT/GT tires? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2021 9:33 pm

I’ve seen a lot of people use oscillating multi tools. They work really well for cutting rubber from what I’ve seen. Didn’t want to jack the thread, just thought I would give a quick tip. Thanks and props to y’all for the advice! Smile
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

Forum Rep : 545

PostSubject: Re: Retreading LT/GT tires?   Retreading LT/GT tires? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2021 10:34 pm

@Rustbucket Garage wrote:
I’ve seen a lot of people use oscillating multi tools. They work really well for cutting rubber from what I’ve seen. Didn’t want to jack the thread, just thought I would give a quick tip. Thanks and props to y’all for the advice! Smile

They take a long time too...

TheGreenMachine - "coming 2022"
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
DimeWeld
DimeWeld
CraftsmanQuad19

Forum Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Retreading LT/GT tires?   Retreading LT/GT tires? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2021 10:49 pm

@MightyRaze wrote:
@Rustbucket Garage wrote:

They take a long time too...

Not to mention the horrible noise and vibration. My whole forearm goes numb! I only use it in the rare instance my grinder, sawzaw, or plasma cutter can’t get into that tight spot that I have to cut
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Retreading LT/GT tires?   Retreading LT/GT tires? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Retreading LT/GT tires?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: General Tractor Talk + Pictures/ Videos :: General Tractor Talk-
Jump to: