All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
Site under minor construction...
No 2021 Build-Off. Will return in 2022. Stay tuned later this year for rule changes!
2021 Top Tractor Challenge Results 1. CreepyCrawler - Tom Zeisler 2. Redzz02 - Sean Meyer 3. Bedestructive - Ryan Deavers 4. Andy Manfred 5. Cooper Lantagne 6. George Irwin 7. Mowbro’s - Ben Hendricks 8. Captain315 - Scotty Andrew 9. Mud mowers from hell, Brian DeLong 10. Mr. Studabaker - Cleetus Joe 11. Mud Mowers from Hell, Sam McCarty 12. Craftsmancrusher - Anthony Cantin

Budgets Tractor Builds

Go down 
+3
CraftsmanQuad19
Rustbucket Garage
Budget_gokart
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Budget_gokart
Screwdriver
Screwdriver

Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2021 8:37 am

i paid 100$ for a simplicty broadmoor hydrostatic with a 16hp vanguard vtwin because it overrevved and the transmission was being over driven causing it to not pull any weight or go up hills. perfect seat good battery good brand new tires ran fine but revved too high because a spring fell off the governor linkage. ran strong though and mowed great. turned out the transmission is low on fluid i put half a quart of 10w40 down it and it worked better, and then i went and used it around town picking free stuff up and across town it decided to break a valve spring retainer and started blowing gas out of the carb and backfire from the carb making it run weak. valve isnt damaged i hope it doesnt seem bent sso ill replace broken parts and use it.
Back to top Go down
Budget_gokart
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Budget_gokart

Forum Rep : 5

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2021 1:43 pm

i finnaly got the craftsman i want its a very nice tractor 12.5 flathead and a decent paint job and a spicer that wont shift what would make the shifter not move its really stiff and it will go into first if you try hard enough

Rustbucket Garage and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
Budget_gokart
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Budget_gokart

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2021 8:25 am

whats the best place to find those 2nd gen craftsman parts i dont wanna buy em new but i need a steering box and cast front axle
Back to top Go down
Budget_gokart
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Budget_gokart

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2021 9:43 am

hey ive been playing around with my old sears suburban and im just looking for ideas for the old gal. should i keep it old kool and crusty patina look or resto mod it? with resto mod i wanna make an aluminum or steel cowl to replace the busted fiberglass one, modern headlights,  plate steel bumpers and a tow bumper with an engine hoist tow arm or something like that. i might just rob my old jack for its hydralics or get a winch. which either way i wanna do these mods, patina it will be cleaned and shined for the "wet look" and still get the bumpers and tow etc. resto mod i think id do darkish mettalic blue (rustolem) over a black base.
Back to top Go down
Budget_gokart
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Budget_gokart

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2021 9:35 am

when i get home im gonna possibly start cleaning the "patina" on the sears i think this thing is too cool the way it is and i made a manual tow arm on the back for moving engines and decks and mowers etc around
Back to top Go down
Budget_gokart
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Budget_gokart

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2021 10:48 pm

Well starter went out on the sears and got some work done on my mud dragster craftsman gt its going pretty slow. Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 20211010
Back to top Go down
MN mudder
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
MN mudder

Forum Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2021 6:48 pm

neat I like your suburban does it still have the original 16 hp Tecumseh?
Back to top Go down
Budget_gokart
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Budget_gokart

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2021 8:21 pm

Yea the old girl does she needs a new motor soon i cant keep servicing this old motor im wanting a boxer twin or vtwin. Starters out i dont have money for a starter but i was offered a boxer side shaft motor. Also a bunch of time opened up for me so my tractors will get twice the attenion. My gf broke up with me so the john deere will be harvested of the vtwin and sold.
Back to top Go down
Budget_gokart
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Budget_gokart

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2021 1:11 pm

Sooo i double pully swapped my craftsman some of the belt keepers are rubbing but its okay ill fix those but anybody know how to solve the terrifying first gen steering without cutting the front half off my tractor and putting a new everything?
Back to top Go down
MN mudder
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
MN mudder

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2021 1:45 pm

I would say you probably would need to replace everything anyway in my opinion, I would look for a lt 2000 cast front axle they are a lot stronger/ heavy duty than the stamped steel ones
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

Forum Rep : 550

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2021 2:05 pm

There is something around.  I think Redneckcomputergeek ( @Maine Mud Mower )has something.

TheGreenMachine 89 Craftsman GT18
Bowser 01 Murray Widebody LT 
Thor 77 Hydro Sears Suburban
Grandpa 75 Sears ST/16
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2021 2:07 pm

I think this is it...

Grandpa 75 Sears ST/16
Back to top Go down
Budget_gokart
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Budget_gokart

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 4:55 pm

Steering problem sorta solved for now but if i support the steering column with greased lock collars with a grease fitting replacing the set screw and welded to a bracket i think it should tighten the column up a little and hopefully save the steering box for a while and if it works i think ill replace the plastic part or the gear box with a better one its not super sloppy so ill be okay for now. Also moved the front axle a few inches forward so it looks better and rides better i have it a few degrees of caster and before the axle was bent back a little now the top of the axle leans back some
Back to top Go down
Budget_gokart
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Budget_gokart

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 6:13 pm

Forgot the pics lol
Before
Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 20211016
After
Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 20211017
Back to top Go down
Budget_gokart
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Budget_gokart

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2021 4:53 pm

I just went to a noice bog hole kinda chilly out so didnt do much but im going back with a full tank a gas and made a rear storage bumper with a supplies ammo canBudgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 20211018
Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 20211020
Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 20211019
Back to top Go down
Budget_gokart
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Budget_gokart

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2021 8:28 pm

Got some work done on my work horse made a dash and found a steering wheel that looks good and its getting a 16hp turbo cool
Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 20211022

MightyRaze, Brianator and Nevadablue like this post

Back to top Go down
Budget_gokart
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Budget_gokart

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2021 1:20 pm

ive had issues with the singles breaking valve spring retainers from over revving is there a way i can fix that it happened at haspin and i plan to take a tractor with a single ohv next haspin event i wanna revv my motor more then stock and plan on a gy6 carb in the future but im worried about droping a valve again

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Screwdriver
Screwdriver
Nevadablue

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2021 4:57 pm

It sure seems that it would be better to leave the governor intact. You should have plenty of power, the issue, I think, is gearing properly. 
Watching to see what others have done to resolve the issue. Smile
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
Administrator
MightyRaze

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2021 9:29 pm

@Nevadablue wrote:
It sure seems that it would be better to leave the governor intact. You should have plenty of power, the issue, I think, is gearing properly. 
Watching to see what others have done to resolve the issue. Smile

He's planning a motorcycle carb.  They work great, but nowhere to hook up the governor, better to remove than it grenade.

Grandpa 75 Sears ST/16

Nevadablue likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Brianator

Forum Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2021 10:54 pm

You can get titanium valve retainers for some small engines, not sure about yours but it's something to look into anyways. Are you sure you breaking retainers or are the valves floating enough to throw the retainers? Harmonics can do funny things! Lol. One of the absolute first things you need to do if you want to overrev your engine is to get stiffer valve springs but don't go crazy, you want springs that are just one step up so if your engine came with say 10lb stock 12-15 or the smallest increase should work great for your needs. You can get "cheater" springs for some engines that look and physically measure as stock but they have a little extra seat pressure, those would be a good option also. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Budgets Tractor Builds   Budgets Tractor Builds - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Budgets Tractor Builds
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Off Road & Rally Tractors-
Jump to: