All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Stanely Garden Tractor Build

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Glen4X4
Glen4X4

build - Stanely Garden Tractor Build Empty
PostSubject: Stanely Garden Tractor Build   build - Stanely Garden Tractor Build Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2017, 8:53 pm

Here is my 2003 Stanley GT (Like a Murray Widebody) it was made by Murray and in fact now has a Murray hood because I don't know where the Stanley hood ever went. It started life as a 21HP B&S V-Twin, 46" cut with a Peerless 820. My dad bought it new and gave it to me a couple of years ago, I was hard on it when I was a kid. The only things I've done thus far is changed the rear pulley from a 9" to a 3" the factory pulley on the stack is 4.5" outside diameter, made a foot throttle out of bicycle brake handle, posted an add on Facebook looking for a free bike just for it and someone gave me two. I put a new carb on it 2 months ago. I want to make it into a trail capable tractor. It has some speed, factory was 5mph, now its 15-20mph which is fast on a mower with stock steering setup. I'm not sure if I'm going to speed it up anymore since I want to use it in the woods and want it to be able to crawl if need be and 1st gear is the only crawler gear is still pretty slow. Need to swap out tires, need to lock the rear, eventually stiffen up the steering. The frame and body is pretty stiff, so I'm not worried about bracing the frame, the weakest part of this tractor is the cheesy hood. I want to make it sound not so much like a mower, something needs done with the exhaust without making it any louder.

And I apologize, the pictures are straight when I upload them but then some turn sideways when I attach the URL to the forum.

Picture of what it used to look like:
build - Stanely Garden Tractor Build Stanle10
Now:
build - Stanely Garden Tractor Build Murray10
build - Stanely Garden Tractor Build Murray11
New Carb:
build - Stanely Garden Tractor Build New_ca10
Foot Throttle:
build - Stanely Garden Tractor Build Foot_t10
Old Pulley:
build - Stanely Garden Tractor Build Stanle11
New Pulley:
build - Stanely Garden Tractor Build Newpul10
Back to top Go down
Glen4X4
Glen4X4

PostSubject: Re: Stanely Garden Tractor Build   build - Stanely Garden Tractor Build Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2017, 8:59 pm

Oh and what I thought was the perfect belt, I'm not sure is. It was a 101.5" I tried an 88 and 92 and they weren't right, got a 90.5" it works great, it does not slip off the rear pulley without me putting pins or guards to keep it from falling off when the clutch is pressed in but if I try starting out in say 4th or 5th gear the belt slips until getting up to speed instead of grabbing popping the front end any. I'm not looking to bust up my front end, but wish it would grab better, I'm wondering if the surface of the pulley is too slippy. If I work my way up to 5th gear it does fine and doesn't slip.
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Stanely Garden Tractor Build   build - Stanely Garden Tractor Build Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2017, 9:42 pm

Pulley that size is going to slip.

build - Stanely Garden Tractor Build Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
build - Stanely Garden Tractor Build Sig214build - Stanely Garden Tractor Build Sig314
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Stanely Garden Tractor Build   build - Stanely Garden Tractor Build Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2017, 9:58 pm

That pulley will slip. I don't recommend going any smaller than 4", especially with a stock clutch.
Back to top Go down
Glen4X4
Glen4X4

PostSubject: Re: Stanely Garden Tractor Build   build - Stanely Garden Tractor Build Icon_minitimeApril 1st 2018, 9:11 pm

Well as expected, the front wheel bushings are shot. I’m hoping to find a wheel bearing equivalent to press into the wheels instead of bushings, it just makes more sense. I just ordered some for my daughters tractor, I need to measure my spindle and the diameter of the wheel and see what I can find. I seen on eBay when ordering hers that there are some for Murray’s and surely I can find the right size somewhere even if I go to a bearing specialty supplier.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stanely Garden Tractor Build   build - Stanely Garden Tractor Build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stanely Garden Tractor Build
Page 1 of 1