All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
2020 Build-off Started, Look for entry instructions HERE! . . .
New Top Tractor Challenge and Build-Off Profile Buttons on the menu bar! . . .
2019 Build-Off Winners . . . 1-AllisKidD21 . . . 2-Offroad Mudmowers . . . 3-MightyRaze . . . Close vote, all were winners!

Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
loggers gogert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around   Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2020 7:29 pm

okay.............so............what is it exactly????
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master
prancstaman

Forum Rep : 83

PostSubject: Re: Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around   Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2020 7:51 pm

@loggers gogert wrote:
okay.............so............what is it exactly????

LOL. A steel roller. It can make a perfectly round steel ring from flat steel plate. The last 2 pics of the post shows what it does. I can buy a piece of flat steel From say Home Depot. A 2 inch wide by 6 feet long and 1/8 inch thick steel plate, run it through the rollers of the tool, to make a perfectly round ring. That is all it does for now. Later I can make adapters to roll other stuff too. Like round bar or thick square tubing.

I made this tool for a project on another thread. I'm making a set of rims and I am wanting to widen the rims. When you widen the rims, you add metal to the rim to be able to widen the rim. This tool makes the metal ring that I will weld on the rim to widen them. I want the metal ring to be perfectly round. Just a part of a whole project I am doing.
Back to top Go down
loggers gogert
Apprentice
Apprentice
loggers gogert

Forum Rep : 6

PostSubject: Re: Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around   Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2020 7:53 pm

dude............thats awesome

is it easier then just drilling a hole with a power drill??
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master
prancstaman

PostSubject: Re: Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around   Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2020 7:59 pm

@loggers gogert It doesn't make holes, LOL. it makes circles, like for a steering wheel, or a steel barrel.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

Forum Rep : 254

PostSubject: Re: Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around   Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2020 7:59 pm

Looks like the test went pretty well, great work prancstaman!

- Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
       - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - John Deere 110 Basic Off-Road Build
       - Allis B-110, 710 & 716 - Wheel Horse 655 & 953 - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic - Cub Cadet 106 - Ford LGT 125 -
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master
prancstaman

PostSubject: Re: Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around   Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2020 8:06 pm

@AllisKidD21 Thanks! I'm thinking on what else I can do with it already. I can probably make a pretty cool steering wheel from scratch. Or maybe make the jigs to roll up some T-posts for a frame I plan on building. I'm a thinkin, LOL.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
RichieRichOverdrive

Forum Rep : 100

PostSubject: Re: Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around   Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2020 8:07 pm

It's a metal roller. You can roll rings out of metal with it. You change the radius of the rings by the center roller.

You should use one of those bottle jacks to make a sheet metal brake(break?) or something.

Something I've made.... let's dig through my phone...

Demagnetizer I just finished. Doesn't work all well, but it makes things just a bit less magnetic if you do it right. At least it gets one of my hoarded sewing machine motors off the shelf in the shop. The bearing blocks were fun, had to mount them to the faceplate on the lathe and bore them out.
Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Kimg1511

The belt is an o ring from one of the filters on my dad's truck lol.
Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Kimg1512

I guess this counts, i did most of it at home. A tap handle from ThisOldTony's video, maybe some of you have seen that vid.
Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Kimg1513

Um here's a hammer handle I didn't put much effort into.
Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Kimg1113

Carriage stop i made for my lathe, almost entirely with my lathe.
Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Kimg1514

Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Kimg1410

Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Kimg1515
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master
prancstaman

PostSubject: Re: Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around   Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2020 8:17 pm

@RichieRichOverdrive Nice projects. I need to make one of those tap handles myself. Vice grips just not cutting it lately, LOL. like the lathe mill setup. I need to make that too. Probably pretty soon too. I got maybe one more project to do before I start the mill project, LOL. Now how does the demagnetizer work?
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
RichieRichOverdrive

PostSubject: Re: Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around   Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2020 8:23 pm

It's just a bunch of neodymium magnets spinning around. I guess it should just jumble the magnetic field of anything that passes by it. By "should" i mean it doesn't very well.

I suppose it'd be good for when you really want a hard drive clean.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master
prancstaman

PostSubject: Re: Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around   Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2020 8:30 pm

@RichieRichOverdrive Oh, OK. I was asking because we had something in school that did the same thing. It was a magnaflux machine used to find cracks in parts. and after you tested the magnetized part, you had to demagnetize the part. You had to do it a certain way too and the last step was walking away from the machine till it turned off and that is how you knew the part was demagnetized.

Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
RichieRichOverdrive

PostSubject: Re: Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around   Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2020 8:42 pm

That's interesting. I don't really know much about the theory of it. I just have the magnets in reversing polarities

A pic of my setup for drilling the magnet holes. I don't think this is how the lathe or indexer were really intended to be used, but it works lol.
Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Kimg1411
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master
prancstaman

PostSubject: Behind the 8 Ball Steel Roller part 9, the conclusion   Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2020 9:22 pm

Hay People,
Last post on this tool, before I actually use it for my projects. Pretty much a test run on it to see how it works. Thought it would be a good idea to test it that way I know what to expect, Quite surprising for me actually, on using it. So, I can come up with a game plan and don't waste metal and money.

I'll be testing it on the same piece of metal I used after finishing it. The 1/2 inch wide, 1/8 inch thick flat steel stock. I just bent it flat to reuse it, LOL.
So, right off the bat, the first problem to fix is after the metal is rolled in a small enough circle, the outer roller pops out, LOL.
Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 20200346Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 20200344Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 20200345

Easy fix. I was thinking to use steel wire but then I would have to replace it every time I change the rollers. I figured I will use hose clamps then. I got enough of them and they were free. I'll use 2 per roller bearing side, for a total of 8 hose clamps. Using 2 to hold the bearing in place makes them really adjustable when clamping something.
Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 20200347Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 20200349Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 20200348

Back to rolling. I can roll it pretty easily. Wheel spins easy. Then when I get to a small enough circle I have to help push it through. No big deal, I expected that since it's steel on steel which there isn't that much grip. Helping to push it through when it's a small enough circle then that's what I'll do then. I keep rolling back and forth till the center roller is all the way down. That makes a 5 inch circle. And the outer rollers are not all the way inward either. I need to roll a 6 inch circle for my rims and I can do it with no problem now. That frame support on the top, I miss hitting it with the steel by working around it. When the steel was close to it, I just bent the steel a little more and the steel missed hitting it completely.
Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 20200352Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 20200351Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 20200350

I'm happy. Now I want to see how small of a ring I can make. So I reposition the outer rollers closer in and that makes them higher too, which makes a tighter circle. Here is where using 2 clamps comes in handy. The worm screw gets in the way and all you do is tighten the other clamp to move it out of the way. I know, use a big enough single clamp but not an option right now. In the end it looks fine to me.
Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 20200355Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 20200354Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 20200353

Then I roll, roll, roll, till I can't roll any more. Had to push it through while rolling, ofcourse. When the steel rolled onto itself then I move one end to the side to keep rolling somewhat. End result was a funky coil, LOL. Since I rolled onto itself, I couldn't just pull it out. IT GOT STUCK INSIDE THE TOOL, LOL. Never seen that one coming!! If I wanted to remove the metal without taking apart the tool then I would have to bend the metal, NOT GOOD. So I had to remove the center shaft to get the metal out the tool which meant cutting the wire that held the bearings on. I'll have to use hose clamps in the place of the wire to be able to reuse the stuff to hold the shaft in place. OK.
Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 20200356Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 20200357Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 20200358

Here is the tightest circle I can make with this tool. Kinda bad for a circle too it not being perfectly round, but still round. Sometimes you just have to mess stuff up to see what happens in order to learn something extra. The max is a around 3 1/2 inch circle. The ends are waste, the straight pieces. The ends get cut off because they are not part of the circle, and are 2 inches long on each end of the work piece, in the tightest circle I can make with this tool.
Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 20200360
Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 20200359

That's it. I learned a lot about this tool. The setup, how to remove the work piece, the max smallest diameter I can make to be a good usable work piece, and what is wasted after. From start to finish. I don't think I ever used one of these before, at least I don't remember. Sometimes it goes like that and the learning or relearning gets to be real fun. If you have fun, then it's never work. OK, that's it for this tool, I'm pretty sure. Later...………..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around   Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homemade tools and stuff from junk laying around
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Off Topic :: Off Topic Project Builds-
Jump to: