All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MoTiJo

Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps? Empty
PostSubject: Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps?   Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps? Icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2023, 7:30 pm

Hello,
I wanna build a full suspension kart. I was thinking about using 30x20x3mm Reactangle tubing for the main frame. I have a MIG welder and a electrode welder, Im gonna use the MIG (inert gas welding machine) one. I've already made a plan with a 3d software (its not finished yet):
Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps? Kartpl10

Cars and Cameras inspired me with their yard dart build:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zADdNoG7-uM

I have already bought most of the Parts (engine[200cc honda GX clone], tires, axle.....) for it. I also bought 2 metres of the 20x30x3mm steel. This week i want to start building the frame. Do you guys have any tipps how i should weld the Square tubing? Should i weld it point after point or should i got full power and send it? I want the Frame to last a long time, I also dont want to have to reweld parts of the frame taht often, if ever, cause that makes it even weaker on that point of the frame. How should i weld the sqare/rectangle tubing so the frame wont crack under load. (im also thinking about putting the engine onto rubber enigne mounts that stop vibrations a bit more)
I would really appreciate some tipps guys, Thanks!
Back to top Go down
MoTiJo

PostSubject: Re: Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps?   Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps? Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2023, 4:24 pm

hmm, i guess the members of this forum can't weld, or why is there no awnser to my question?
Question Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps?   Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps? Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2023, 6:19 pm

Most of our members that weld by trade have moved on.   Many that are left are welding as a hobby.

Also, building a go-kart from scratch isn't really what we are all about.  Mostly modding lawn and garden tractors for fun here.

DIYGokarts is a forum that many of the older members here were dual members.  The guys over there may be of more technical help in building a gokart from scratch.

https://www.diygokarts.com/

Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps? Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps? Sig214Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps? Sig314
Back to top Go down
MoTiJo

PostSubject: Re: Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps?   Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps? Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2023, 6:26 pm

@MightyRaze Thanks for your reply. I know that this forum isnt about Karts, i just hoped to get an awnser to my question. I dont want to build my kart from scratch, Im buying bran new parts, just bought an axle kit for 200€..... Im gonna ask on DIYGokarts for some help then Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps? 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps?   Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps? Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2023, 7:02 pm

There's several of us here that weld although I'm not sure anyone is a professional welder (speak up if so!).

For 3mil steel I'd be inclinded to use the MIG as you can control the heat better and are less likely to blow holes in it. Once you have it completely tacked up then you should be fine to "send it" as you say, you won't really have to worry about heat distortion like you would with welding panels.

There's pleanty of go kart builds to read through and get some ideas on other forums, I'm pretty sure I've even seen plans at one time!

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
MoTiJo

PostSubject: Re: Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps?   Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps? Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2023, 7:06 pm

@Brianator I've weldet 2mm steel with our electrode welder in the past, did not blew holes in it. I can weld a bit, with MIG and Electrode. Im gonna look for other kart Plans on this Forum now, Thanks for your reply!

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
RichieRichOverdrive

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps?   Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps? Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2023, 9:05 pm

When creating a frame like that, what one should most keep in mind is squareness and straightness. The heating and cooling of welding will always warp your weldment, there is no way around that, but it can be minimized. The best ways to do this include clamping the weldment down so the weld cant "pull" the material together when it cools, and another best practice is to "tack" the weldment on all sides before fully welding, to keep seams closed or pieces in place while another side of it is fully welded. Tacking before fully welding also permits easy cutting of welds to alter the design before it is finalized.

For the state side folks reading, your 3mm steel is roughly 1/8" thick, or almost exactly 11ga. I would use the MIG for this as it is a lot easy to start and stop welding, giving you better control of heat and just reducing general frustration from stuck rods and such.

Hope all of this makes sense. I am a machinist by trade but i do find myself welding often at work and at home, and have dealt with frames like this. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
MoTiJo

PostSubject: Re: Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps?   Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps? Icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2023, 5:57 am

@RichieRichOverdrive Yeah, The thing with the "squarness" and the metal warping is a problem i've had in the past.... We have 90° welding magnets that hold the metal together pretty good when welding or planning, they will be a big help for me. Thanks for your tipps, Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps?   Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Full suspension Gokart, welding tipps?
Page 1 of 1