All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog inBuild-OffTop Tractor Challenge
Welcome to the All Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum! . . .
2020 Build-off Started, Look for entry instructions HERE! . . .
New Top Tractor Challenge and Build-Off Profile Buttons on the menu bar! . . .
2019 Build-Off Winners . . . 1-AllisKidD21 . . . 2-Offroad Mudmowers . . . 3-MightyRaze . . . Close vote, all were winners!

Murraymountain's Mountain Murray

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Murraymountain
Master
Master

Murraymountain's Mountain Murray - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Mountain Murray   Murraymountain's Mountain Murray - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 3:26 pm

OK, I think I can put some #420 chain to replace it. A little heavier duty. But now I have another problem.... This trans could be nothing more than parts... #1, it's missing one axle bearing and that one leaked, so chances are the other one leaks as well. #2, the shift keys are rounded off (some worse than others, but they are all rounded to some degree). And #3, 80% of the gears are gouged pretty badly... Here are the shift keys...

Murraymountain's Mountain Murray - Page 5 P1140828
Murraymountain's Mountain Murray - Page 5 P1140827

So yeah, I'll have to get new shift keys. But here is my main concern...

Murraymountain's Mountain Murray - Page 5 P1140829
Murraymountain's Mountain Murray - Page 5 P1140830
Murraymountain's Mountain Murray - Page 5 P1140831

If you look hard enough you can see what I'm talking about (You shouldn't have to look hard to notice, but still). If you run your fingernail across it, it catches on just about everything. I'm assuming this trans has lots of hours on it. So this is where I need your input... Will the gears being in this condition hurt the way it runs? I would expect that it could junk itself a lot faster than one that didn't have gears like this. Do you guys think this trans is worth running or not?
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Master
Master
prancstaman

Forum Rep : 83

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Mountain Murray   Murraymountain's Mountain Murray - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 9:58 pm

The gears are fine. Looks like machine marks from when the gears were made. The sides really don't matter because they are keyed to the shafts one way or another and really don't rub up against each other like you are thinking. As long as the lube is clean then you should be good. You can probably save the shift keys by grinding the one side that is worn to where it is flat. And do that to all 4 shift keys to where they are the same thickness, so when the keys engage into the notches then all four keys are up against the sides evenly.
Back to top Go down
RichieRichOverdrive
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran
RichieRichOverdrive

Forum Rep : 114

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Mountain Murray   Murraymountain's Mountain Murray - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 10:17 pm

Keys are also available new on ebay.

If you're talking about outer axle bearings, you're looking for part no 1641RS, they're fairly common and cheap.

Gears look fine, so long as there's no broken teeth they'll work.
Back to top Go down
Murraymountain
Master
Master
Murraymountain

Forum Rep : 54

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Mountain Murray   Murraymountain's Mountain Murray - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 2:59 pm

@prancstaman wrote:
The gears are fine. Looks like machine marks from when the gears were made. The sides really don't matter because they are keyed to the shafts one way or another and really don't rub up against each other like you are thinking. As long as the lube is clean then you should be good. You can probably save the shift keys by grinding the one side that is worn to where it is flat. And do that to all 4 shift keys to where they are the same thickness, so when the keys engage into the notches then all four keys are up against the sides evenly.

They are without a doubt not machine marks. I know what you're talking about and they are definitely not what I normally see on gears. Not sure about the lube, it was Bentonite grease up until about a week ago. Something definitely has been chewing them up for sure. You'd need to see it in person to understand how bad it is. If it was going to stay stock then I wouldn't care much, but when these gears are pushing the tractor at a minimum of a 40 MPH, I'm not so sure how they'd hold up... Still on the fence about using this trans.

The shift key thing might work. How do you think they'd hold up to 40 MPH?

@RichieRichOverdrive wrote:
Keys are also available new on ebay.

If you're talking about outer axle bearings, you're looking for part no 1641RS, they're fairly common and cheap.

Gears look fine, so long as there's no broken teeth they'll work.

Yeah I was looking for those bearings. If I use this trans then I'll get me some.

No, no broken teeth, but they are damaged slightly. It looks like someone took a knife and beat the top of the teeth with it. My most mainest concern is the 40 MPH minimum though. If these gears aren't gonna get in the way of achieving that speed, than I'll run this trans. If they are, than I'll part it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Murraymountain's Mountain Murray   Murraymountain's Mountain Murray - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Murraymountain's Mountain Murray
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Off Road & Rally Tractors-
Jump to: